Health Policy Scholarship Under David A. Winston Program
DAVID A. WINSTON HEALTH POLICY SCHOLARSHIP For first year graduate students onlyThe Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) has established this scholarship in honor of David A. Winston, a leading pioneer with a commitment to the future of American health policy.
As the healthcare management industry continues to grow, the David A. Winston scholarship seeks to increase the number of trained and qualified individuals in health care policy on both the state and federal levels by providing financial assistance. This award recognizes students who have achieved academic excellence and who have demonstrated a commitment and leadership in health policy. AUPHA awards ten students with David A. Winston scholarships each year. Each scholarship is for $5,000. This scholarship is not awarded according to financial need. Instead, it is based on students' academic records and recommendations from faculty members.
Students must meet the following criteria to apply for a David A. Winston Health Policy scholarship:
- First year graduate students participating in any of the 47 AUPHA member programs.
- All applicants must be scheduled to all didactic coursework during the year for which they are applying for the scholarship
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen.
**Only available to students in master's health care administration degree programs. Ph.D. students are not eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- All applicants must submit the application online. The following materials must be submitted with the online application or mailed to the admissions office:
- At least one letter of recommendation from a faculty member. All letters must be signed and on the university's official letterhead. The letter should include specific details outlining the applicant's qualifications for this scholarship.
- At least one letter of recommendation from an employer or clinical instructor. All letters must be signed and on letterhead. The letter should include specific details outlining the applicant's qualifications for this scholarship.
- A personal statement demonstrating interest and commitment to a career in healthcare management and policy. Statement should be approximately two single-spaced pages and include personal experiences that have led applicants to pursing health policy. Students are to discuss how their academic careers have prepared them for careers in health policy, in addition to outlining future career goals.
- Curriculum vitae of professional and extracurricular activities.
- Transcripts with at least one full-time semester of completion are to be submitted by email or fax.
- Standardized test scores (unless not required for graduate program admission)
When to Apply
Applications for the upcoming academic year will be accepted from August through April. Award recipients are announced in early May. In the early fall, all award recipients attend a two-day health policy symposium held in Washington, D.C.
AUPHA is a network of colleges and universities around the world dedicated to improving health care through education and policy. This non-profit organization is comprised of the top bachelors, masters and doctoral health care administration and policy degree programs in the United States, Canada and other countries. Individual and faculty members represent more than 400 colleges and universities.