Florida Health Administration Degree Programs
With a huge population that is hitting retirement age, Florida places great importance on its healthcare institutions and providers. As a healthcare administrator, you may work in leadership or management roles in large healthcare organizations, such as Tampa General Hospital, Baptist Medical Center, and Weatherby Healthcare. With a healthcare administration degree, you can prepare for a variety of roles that are vital to successful patient outcomes.
As you start thinking about your healthcare education, it’s important to make sure that the school you choose can help you achieve your goals. If you want to work in a specific type of healthcare setting, make sure to discuss your aspiration with each school you contact. You will want to learn what relationships each school has with area employers. Many institutions have internship opportunities available for their students to gain real-world experience. And if you are a working professional, many schools offer flexible class schedules, so you may be able to complete some of your courses online or during non-traditional hours. Consider each school’s tuition rates and financial aid opportunities so you can find a school that fits your budget.
Healthcare Administration Education in Florida
With 29 schools that have Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s, and doctoral degree programs, Florida can be a great state for prospective healthcare administrators. Six of these schools have been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education.
You may wear many hats as a healthcare administrator, and this is reflected in the skills you learn in your degree program. Much of your time will be spent handling management and personnel issues—you’ll gain the skills to not only manage higher-level staff members but also to empower them to manage their own staff. Your program will likely cover Florida healthcare law so that you can keep your organization up to code at all times. Budgeting and accounting are often covered, as you need to provide high-quality care without going over budget. You may be expected to respond to new personnel needs and adjust your budget to fit. Health News Florida reports that south Florida hospitals have been tightening security and hiring more security personnel in the last few months.
As you prepare to start your education, consider joining or contacting local healthcare organizations. These organizations can help you network with potential employers, learn about the healthcare culture in your area, and benefit from others’ expertise.
Florida Health Admin Related Associations
- Florida Health Care Association
- Florida Association for Healthcare Quality
- Florida Hospital Association
- South Florida Hospital & Healthcare Association
Outlook for Healthcare Administration Careers in Florida
While working in the healthcare industry of Florida, you’ve likely noticed the state’s array of healthcare needs. A growing number of healthcare executives are needed to fulfill these needs and improve healthcare outcomes. With a degree in healthcare administration, you may explore jobs in hospitals, medical research facilities, consulting firms, and educational institutions.
Florida is one of many states with a strong job outlook. In the years between 2012 and 2022, the demand for medical managers is expected to swell 21% (O*Net, 2012). Salaries vary between regions, but the overall average for a medical manager is $95,600 per year (O*Net, 2014).
Discover how you can utilize your healthcare experience to improve the lives of Florida residents. Request information from healthcare administration programs in Florida.
2020 Medical and Health Services Manager Estimated Job Openings
Below, we speak with J. Emmett Reed, Executive Director of the Florida Health Care Association, about working in the state’s healthcare system.
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Associate of Science - Health Care Administration(online)
- Associate of Science in Health Care Administration(online)
- Bachelor of Science - Health Care Administration(online)
- M.S. in Health Care Informatics(online)
- DBA - Health Care Administration(online)
- PhD - Gerontology(online)
- PhD - Health Care Admininstration(online)
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences(online)
- Doctor of Health Administration(online)
- Certificate in Health Administration(online)
- MBA - Health Administration(online)
- AS - Health Care Administration(online)
- BS - Health Care Administration(online)
- MBA - Health Care Management(online)
- Bachelor of Science in Health Information Administration(online)
- Master of Public Health: Health Education(online)
- Master of Public Health: Public Health Practice(online)
- Certificate - Medical Assistant(online)
- Certificate - Medical Billing and Coding(online)
- Degree - Medical Assistant(online)
- Degree - Medical Billing and Coding(online)
- Doctor of Health Administration(online)
- Associate of Applied Science in Health Information Technology(online)
- Master of Business Administration - Health Care Administration Emphasis(online)
- Doctor of Health Administration(onl